Clear your diaries as the countdown to the Festival of Museums is upon us – from Friday 13th – Sunday 15th of May you will be spoilt for choice with over 100 unique one-off events taking place at museums & galleries across Scotland! The event caters to all ages & interests so the whole family can get in on the action!
I had never heard of the festival before but I have seriously been missing out – especially as it is so family friendly – there is everything from art exhibitions to children’s fancy dress parties, evening ceilidhs to historical reenactments! This is the 10 year anniversary for the festival & it is set to be the best year yet, you can check out the full festival programme by visiting www.festivalofmuseums.com
Some of this year’s most highly anticipated events include:
* In Vogue, a renaissance fashion show at Stirling Castle. http://www.festivalofmuseums.co.uk/question-your-perception/
* Glasgow’s Marvellous Medicine, a look into the city’s medical heritage at the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons. http://www.festivalofmuseums.co.uk/glasgows-marvellous-medicine/
* Joan Eardley: A Private View, a new play on the life of the artist performed by Stellar Quines at the National Galleries of Scotland. http://www.festivalofmuseums.co.uk/joan-eardley-a-private-view/
* Question Your Perception: An Evening of Micro Adventures, take part in a series of “microadventures” including magic, chocolate tasting, and if you are brave enough bug-tasting! http://www.festivalofmuseums.co.uk/question-your-perception/
* First World War Recruitment Day, a family-friendly event and the chance to experience a day in the life of a Great War nurse or soldier at the Black Watch Castle and Museum. http://www.festivalofmuseums.co.uk/first-world-war-recruitment-day/
* Lighthouse Keepers’ Bootcamp, a glimpse into the arduous lives and secret stories of Scotland’s keepers at the Museum of Scottish Lighthouse. http://www.festivalofmuseums.co.uk/could-you-be-a-keeper-lighthouse-keepers-bootcamp/
* Super Sci Fi Saturday, a day of comic book creation and superhero fancy dress at the Coates Observatory. http://www.festivalofmuseums.co.uk/super-sci-fi-sat/
So go get your diary out & pencil in a few exciting trips to a gallery or museum near you!